No-Chicken Chicken Stock
- 10 cups cold water
- 2 potatoes quarted
- 2 carrots scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 3 celery stalks cut into pieces
- 3 heads garlic broken into cloves
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine everything in a large saucepan, and heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for one hour, cool slightly.
- Strain to remove solids, pressing down to extract more liquid
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to three days.