No-Chicken Chicken Stock
Here, peppercorns and garlic appear in excess, to mimic chicken stock—much as ground fennel can transform tofu into a most convincing sausage—a trick I’ve employed often in our home of divided food ethics.
- 10 cups cold water
- 2 potatoes quarted
- 2 carrots scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 3 celery stalks cut into pieces
- 3 heads garlic broken into cloves
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine everything in a large saucepan, and heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for one hour, cool slightly.
- Strain to remove solids, pressing down to extract more liquid
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to three days.
This recipe originally appeared in our Winter 2010 issue.