Red Wine and Ginger Poached Pears
- 1 750 ml bottle of dry red wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 2- inch piece fresh ginger peeled and sliced
- Juice and 2 teaspoons grated zest from 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 firm but ripe pears peeled, stemmed, and cored
- Freshly whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup or honey
- Combine all ingredients except the pears in medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat (sugar should dissolve.)
- Add pear halves and continue to simmer, occasionally turning the halves, until tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove pears and set aside.
- Bring red wine mixture back to a boil and reduce it to syrupy consistency; there should be about a cup of liquid.
- Serve two pear halves to each plate; top with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, drizzle with some poaching liquid and top with granola crumbles.