Sunchoke Skillet Gratin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pounds sunchokes scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese finely grated
- Preheat an oven to 450°. In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, melt the butter, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix together the thyme, salt, cayenne and nutmeg in a small bowl. Arrange ⅓ of the sunchokes, overlapping tightly, in bottom of skillet. Sprinkle with ⅓ of the thyme mixture. Repeat two more times for three layers total.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, until underside of bottom layer starts to brown.
- Add the cream, cover and cook 20–25 minutes, until the sunchokes are tender.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and place the skillet in the oven. Bake uncovered, 10–15 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes, slice into wedges and serve.