Roasted Beets with Cider Dressing
When someone tells me that they don’t like beets I immediately ask how they’ve cooked them. When the answer is boiled beets, I hand them this recipe. Roasted beets are in a different world of deliciousness.
- 8 medium beets about 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs tarragon, sage, thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Trim greens and stems from beets. Wash well and place in a deep baking dish. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove beets from oven, keep covered and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Using a paper towel, slip the skin off each beet and cut into wedges.
- Whisk cider, cider vinegar, honey and oil in a small bowl.
- Add the beets, season with salt and pepper and toss with fresh herbs.
- Serve over tender salad greens with toasted walnuts and crumbled fresh goat cheese.