Monica’s Grape Pie
Monica Schenk makes some of the most delicious pies in the region. Her recipes are usually kept super secret so we’re excited to share this home cook’s version of her delicious grape pie. It’s a Finger Lakes delicacy if there ever was one.
- 4 cups Concord Grapes destemmed
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 double layer of your favorite frozen pie crusts or your recipe for homemade pie dough that will give you two layers of crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Slip the skins off of the grapes with your fingers, placing the grape middles in a stock pot. Reserve the skins in a large mixing bowl. Bring the grape middles to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat and pour the grapes through a strainer to remove the seeds.
- Add the boiled grapes to the skins and mix in the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Fill the bottom of a pie shell with the mixture and cover with the top layer of dough. Place the pie on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the filling is bubbly in the middle and the crust is golden brown.