Sweet Potato, Apple & Chipotle Soup
To add a little crunch, top the soup with crumbled tortilla chips, croutons, toasted chopped pecans or a dollop of yogurt and chopped fresh cilantro.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 cup celery thinly sliced widthwise (the short way)
- 5 cups sweet potatoes peeled, thinly sliced widthwise
- 2 cups apples chopped
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- Warm the oil in a soup pot on high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the celery, sweet potatoes, apples, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, vegetable broth, water, salt, cinnamon, and black pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat, and simmer gently until the sweet potatoes and apples are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the apple juice to the pot and puree the soup in a blender in batches until smooth and creamy. Blend in more chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and/or black pepper, to suit your taste.
By the Moosewood Collective