This recipe originally appeared in our Fall 2012 edition. Get more great autumn recipes by subscribing to the magazine!
Ithaca Nut Brown Ale and Biermeck Soup with Cheesy Croutons
- 8 slices of baguette ½-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup Biermeck cheese grated, (or Red Meck, or aged cheddar)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion small, minced
- Pinch nutmeg ground
- 2½ tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces Ithaca Nut Brown Ale 1 standard bottle
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ pound Biermeck cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place baguette slices on baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Divide cheese among the slices of bread. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil and add onions. Cook until translucent, then add nutmeg.
- Stir in the flour and stir continuously, until light golden brown.
- Whisk in beer, stock and heavy cream.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then stir in salt, pepper and cheese; taste to adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot with cheese croutons.