Spring Pea Risotto with Riesling-Poached Egg
Riesling-poached eggs? You won’t believe how delicious they are. Nestled on top of this pea-punctuated risotto, they add an extra layer of flavor when broken with a spoon. For the bacon-lovers out there, you can begin the dish by browning some diced bacon, using the fat in place of the vegetable oil, and adding the cooked bacon in at the end.
- 7 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups peas fresh
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 spring onion minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice can substitute locally-grown farro, just increase cook time
- 1 bottle Dry Riesling
- bacon desired amount, chopped, cooked (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- chives chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Bring stock to a simmer in a large pot. Meanwhile, in a food processor, purée 1 cup peas with 1 cup water.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, add onion and cook until softened. Add rice and toast for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup Riesling and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Add just enough stock to cover the rice, then let simmer until it’s just about absorbed.
- Continue adding stock in this manner, stirring with each addition, until rice is al dente and has formed a creamy sauce.
- Stir in pea purée and remaining peas (and bacon, if using); stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, cheese and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour enough Riesling in a separate wide, shallow saucepan to reach a height of about 2 inches.
- Bring to a simmer, then gently lower eggs in and cook over a bare simmer until poached, about 4 minutes.
- Divide risotto among serving plates and top each with a wine-poached egg. Season again with salt and pepper, sprinkle with chives if desired and serve immediately.
Recipe by Amy Maltzan, eggsonsunday.com. See more from the 2014 Wine issue, including this recipe for lamb chops.
1 thought on “Spring Pea Risotto with Riesling-Poached Egg”
Pingback: Grilled Lamb Chops | Edible Finger Lakes : Edible Finger Lakes
Comments are closed.