Sparkling Wine Gelée with Strawberries
This gelée is an utter treat: Crystal-clear, smooth, cool and light on the tongue. You can use any off-dry Riesling in place of the sparkling wine and substitute raspberries for the strawberries when in season.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 3 cups sparkling wine such as Lakewood Vineyards Candeo, chilled
- 1 pint strawberries trimmed and halved
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Turn off heat and whisk in powdered gelatin until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Add sparkling wine to the mixture, whisking thoroughly to ensure there are no lumps. Skim off any foam that accumulates.
- Divide mixture among 4–6 glasses or dishes (depending on how large you want your portion size to be). Place in refrigerator, chill for 10 minutes, then drop strawberries into glasses.
- Chill at least 4 hours before serving. Gelée will be fairly loose, but spoonable.