Cheddar and Hard Cider Fondue
- 1 clove garlic peeled and halved
- 1 1/4 cups medium-dry hard cider such as Bellwether Original Hard Cider
- 1 pound Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons applejack or apple brandy I like Finger Lakes Distilling’s Maplejack Liqueur
- salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- assorted accompaniments for serving such as cubes of crusty bread; boiled fingerling potatoes; apple or pear slices; steamed cauliflower or broccoli; roasted Brussels sprouts; and/or sausage slices
- Rub the inside of a medium saucepan with garlic clove; discard. Add cider, bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Add cheese and nutmeg; stir gently until cheese melts.
- In small bowl, stir together cornstarch and brandy. Add to cheese
- mixture; stir until smooth, about 5 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot!