Roasted Fennel and White Bean Dip
- 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic 2 unpeeled and 2 peeled and minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 ½ cups cannellini beans cooked
- 1 tablespoon rosemary fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese grated
- 1 baguette thinly sliced, brushed with olive oil, and toasted into crostini
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Toss fennel and unpeeled garlic cloves with 3 tablespoons of olive oil on a sheet pan. Season generously with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 30–40 minutes, stirring occasionally during cooking.
- Take out the pan and let it cool, then squeeze roasted garlic out of the skins and put aside.
- In a small pan, heat ½ cup olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic cloves and cook until lightly golden. Add cannellini beans and rosemary and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Transfer garlic bean mixture, fennel, roasted garlic, lemon juice, remaining ¼ cup olive oil and all but 3 tablespoons of cheese to a food processor. Purée until smooth.
- Raise oven temperature to 450°. Transfer purée to a small baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake until golden on top, about 15–20 minutes. Serve hot with crostini.
Adapted from Food52.com