Sour Cream and Garlic Mashed Parsnips
- potato masher
- 3 pounds parsnips peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 medium cloves garlic peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- ½ cup sour cream at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter at room temperature and cut in small cubes
- Freshly ground white or black pepper to taste
- Put parsnips, garlic and salt into a large pot. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain well, then mash well with a potato masher or, for a creamier texture, purée in a food processor.
- Add sour cream and butter, stirring well until the butter is melted and mixture is well combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large bowl and serve.