Mixed Winter Greens Spanakopita
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup shallots chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh, chopped
- 2 pounds winter greens washed, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 12 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup unsalted local butter melted
- 6 sheets phyllo dough thawed
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions, shallots and garlic until soft. Add the greens and herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the greens are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and when cool, squeeze out liquid over a colander.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the feta and mix with the cooled greens until well blended.
- Heat oven to 375°. Cover phyllo dough with a damp towel to prevent drying. Remove one layer and place on a large, oiled baking sheet. Brush the sheet with melted butter and lay another sheet of phyllo on top. Repeat with all six sheets.
- Place the filling along the longer edge of the dough. Roll into a tight roll and tuck the ends under. Brush the roll with any remaining butter.
- Bake 25 minutes, until a deep golden brown. Cool and slice into 6 sections. Serve with a garlic yogurt sauce.