Russian Cabbage Borscht
Tangy and just a touch sweet, Dry Riesling is a perfect match for this dish, which has acidity from the vinegar and tomato puree, plus a touch of sweetness from honey.
- 1½ cups potato thinly sliced
- 1 cup beets thinly sliced
- 4 cups stock or water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups onion chopped
- 1 scant teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 3 cups cabbage chopped
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dill weed
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons teaspoon honey
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon raisins optional
- Place potatoes, beets and water in a saucepan and cook until everything is tender (save the water).
- Begin cooking the onions in the butter in a large kettle. Add caraway seeds and salt. Cook until onion is translucent, then add celery, carrots and cabbage.
- Add water from beets and potatoes and cook, covered until all the vegetables are tender. Add potatoes, beets and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer slowly for at least 30 minutes.
- Taste to correct seasonings. Served topped with sour cream, extra dill weed, chopped fresh tomatoes.