Spiced Beet Bubbly
- 2 large beets fresh
- 20 ounces water
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/8 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Pinch mace or ground nutmeg
- 750 mL bottle of Finger Lakes sparkling wine or Finger Lakes sparkling cider
- 8 slices orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pierce beets six to eight times with a fork or knife and wrap in aluminum foil. Place foil-covered beets on a baking sheet in the center of the oven. Bake for an hour or until the beets are tender.
- Remove the beets from the oven and allow them to cool fully in the foil. Unwrap the beets and remove the skins with a paper towel. Shred the beets in a food processor.
- Place the shredded beets in a saucepan, including all of the juice. Add enough water to cover the beets (about 20 ounces) and cook uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes. Do not boil.
- Add maple syrup, cinnamon, cayenne and mace. Simmer uncovered over low heat for half an hour, or until the liquid coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- To make each cocktail, pour sparkling wine or cider into the champagne flutes and slowly add two and a half tablespoons of the spiced beet syrup to each glass. Stir gently.
- Drink as is or garnish with the orange peel. The beet syrup will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Felicia’s Atomic Lounge is located at 508 W. State Street in Ithaca, 607.273.2219