The Bloody Mary Meal
There’s nothing better than a Bloody Mary for brunch. It’s the ultimate breakfast drink. Not only do you get your booze fix, but you also get your savory breakfast fix. My ultimate Bloody Mary serves as a drink as well as a meal: it’s thick and spicy and comes with lots of snacks in and around it. Drink up, eat up and enjoy your brunch.
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning plus more for the rim
- 1 shot vodka*
- 3 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 12- ounce bottle V8 Essential Antioxidants 100% Vegetable Juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 celery stalk
the snack garnish:
- green olives
- pearl onions
- cheese cut into cubes
- pickled vegetables of your choice such as cornichons or Crooked Carrot dilly beans
- Rim a 16-ounce glass with Old Bay seasoning. Fill the glass with ice. Add vodka and then pickle juice.
- Pour in vegetable juice —I used V8 Antioxidant, which has less sodium than the original and tastes a heck of a lot better than the low sodium version.
- Add the horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and Old Bay. If you like a spicier drink, add more hot sauce. For less spicy, add only a 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish. Use the celery to stir.
- Garnish your drink with an olive, pearl onion, cheese and pickled vegetable. I used a kebab skewer to fit everything on but you may want to use a toothpick or a cute plastic cocktail sword.
- Make a plate with all of the snacks you didn’t put in your drink to eat. And maybe cook up some bacon to enjoy on the side as well?
- *My family debates over whether vodka or gin makes it better. Your call.
Carly Browning is a senior at Ithaca College and writing intern for Edible Finger Lakes.