Grilled Spring Onions and Asparagus with Mustard Vinaigrette
A delicious starter of grilled pencil-thin asparagus and slender spring onions, dressed in a creamy, mustardy vinaigrette. Pair with some hard-boiled eggs and crusty bread for a light dinner.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse mustard
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chives minced
- 1 pound pencil-slim asparagus trimmed of tough ends
- 2 bunches scallions or thin spring onions roots trimmed and tips of green tops trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- generous pinch sugar
- Make the mustard vinaigrette: Whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard, heavy cream and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently combine the asparagus and spring onions with oil, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Prepare a grill to high heat. Spread a single layer of the asparagus and onions on the grill and cook until browned and tender crisp, turning often, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter, then grill remaining asparagus and onions in batches the same way. Once all the vegetables are heaped on the platter, spoon the vinaigrette over the top. Serve hot off the grill or at room temperature.
Amy Maltzan is an avid home cook, gardener and occasional blogger. More of her seasonally focused recipes are available at eggsonsunday.wordpress.com. Photo by Amy Maltzan This recipe is from our upcoming March/April 2015 issue, hitting newsstands soon!