Green Garlic Aioli
You won’t believe how easy and delicious homemade aioli is to make. The luxurious, garlicky spread is perfect paired with lightly steamed spring vegetables and roasted baby potatoes, or spread on a sandwich. (Warning: you may find excuses to spread it on anything edible, as I did.)
- 1/2 fat bulb green garlic all but 2 inches of green stem trimmed, outer layer removed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
- Finely chop garlic. Use a mortar and pestle to pound green garlic with salt until a paste forms (you can also do this by mashing the garlic and salt against a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer paste to medium bowl.
- Whisk in egg yolk until incorporated, then add oil drop by drop, whisking constantly until a thick, shiny aioli is achieved. Stir in a few drops of lemon juice. (Aioli can be prepared a day ahead and stored in refrigerator. Stir again before serving.)
Amy Maltzan is an avid home cook, gardener and occasional blogger. More of her seasonally focused recipes are available at eggsonsunday.wordpress.com. This recipe is from our current March/April 2015 issue, which also features this recipe.