- 2 tablespoons butter plus extra butter for the croutons
- 2 medium leeks white part only, chopped (scant 2 cups)
- 2 small potatoes peeled ,quartered, and thinly sliced (1 scant cup)
- 1 clove garlic slivered
- 2 bunches spinach stems removed and leaves washed and chopped, or 4 cups chard or beet greens
- 1 or 2 cups sorrel slivered
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- sea salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock or chicken stock
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- 1 cup small bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup cream
- Melt butter in soup pot over medium heat; add leek, potatoes and garlic. Cook for several minutes, then add greens and herbs; season with about a teaspoon of salt. Add the liquid, stir and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer, partially covered, about 20 minutes (until the potatoes are tender).
- Purée the soup, add a squeeze of lemon and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Toss in bread cubes and cook until crisp and golden.
- Divide soup among bowls, swirl in cream and top with croutons.