Smoked Trout “Benedict”
This time of year, I’ll make up any excuse to have a version of Eggs Benedict. Hands down, it’s one of my all-time favorites and when you add fresh smoked trout, well, it just doesn't get any better!
- 4 teaspoons salted butter plus 8 ounces melted and warm
- 4 slices French round loaf
- 2 filets smoked trout
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Dry Riesling
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 good pinches cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 eggs for poaching
- Fill a large skillet or pot with about 2 inches of water and keep hot, but not quite boiling.
- Spread butter on each of the 4 slices of bread and brown them in a cast iron skillet over medium heat—like a grilled cheese without the cheese! Place each slice on a warm plate and break up the trout on top between them.
- To make the sauce, place the yolks and wine into the bowl, over a low open flame on the stove, constantly whisk the yolks until they become thick like cake batter. While continuing to whisk slowly, drizzle in the warm, melted butter 1-2 tablespoons at a time. Add the lemon juice, and season with salt and cayenne. Now taste. The sauce should be lemony with a hint of spicy from the cayenne. Keep warm.
- Bring the water to a complete boil, then add the vinegar and return to a boil. Add the eggs quickly and poach until the whites are just firm, about three minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place 2 eggs on top of each slice of toasted bread and trout. Spoon the warm sauce on top of each slice and don’t waste any time digging in—these are best when hot!
Brud Holland is a graduate of the New England Culinary Institute and lives in Watkins Glen with his wife Shari and 3 kids. Having been part of the food and wine scene here in the Finger Lakes for 30+ years, he draws on experiences from a wide variety of culinary escapades that include bakery owner, restaurateur, food product developer, teacher and genuine promoter of all things grown and made in the Finger Lakes. This recipe is from our March/April 2015 issue, out now!