Fava Bean Hummus
- 2 cups fava beans shelled, late-season larger beans are fine to use
- 1/2 – 1 clove garlic crushed with a little salt
- 3 tablespoons canola or extra-virgin olive oil
- lemon juice as needed
- sea salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- Put the fava beans in a pan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the beans’ age and size) until tender, then drain. Set aside to coll, then slip the beans out of their skins.
- Put the peeled fava beans in a food processor or blender with the garlic, 3 tablespoons of oil, a good squeeze of lemon juice, and some salt and pepper. Process to a thick, slightly coarse purée, adding more oil if it seems too thick and dry.
- When you’re happy with the texture, transfer the purée to a bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt, pepper, and lemon juice as needed.
Try this delicious hummus with garlic crostinis.