Roasted Shallot and Herb Vinaigrette
- 2 shallots
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup basil leaves loosely packed
- ½ cup mint leaves loosely packed
- ¼ cup tarragon leaves loosely packed
- ¼ cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Rub the shallots, in their skin, all over with the teaspoon of olive oil. Place in a small ovenproof skillet and roast, turning occasionally, until soft and tender—about 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Once cool, pop the shallot out of its skin and slice off the root end. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the cooked shallots, herbs, vinegar and mustard. Give the mixture a few whirrs until combined completely, scraping down the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- With the food processor running, add in the extra virgin olive oil in a slow stream until the mixture is emulsified. Transfer the vinaigrette to a mixing bowl and use a spatula to gently fold in the crème fraîche.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with salads, grilled meat, or as a spread for fresh breads.