Whole Grain Waffles
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup mixture of whole-grain flours such as whole wheat, spelt, cornmeal, rye, or buckwheat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sweetener such as honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter melted (1 stick)
- Heat the waffle iron
- Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large measuring cup, measure the buttermilk, then thoroughly whisk in the eggs and sweetener (if using).
- Pour the buttermilk-and-egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Add the melted butter and stir until well mixed. If necessary, thin with more buttermilk. The batter should pour off the spoon.
- Cook in the preheated waffle iron until crisp and golden