New Season Garlic and Bread Soup
For the early months of spring you can get fresh garlic before it is dried. It has a longer, greener stem, giving you the flavor of garlic with a youthful nature. A food mill is very useful for this recipe—in fact, a food mill is useful all the time.
- 8 heads garlic skin on
- 1 quart chicken stock
- sea salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- handful of chunks white bread without crust, of yesterday’s—if not even the day before’s
- Please the garlic in the stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the garlic is cooked soft — approximately 40 minutes.
- Then pass the garlic through the food mill (if you have no food mill, press is through a sieve). Mix the garlic pulp back into the stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat and throw in the bread a couple of minute before serving, so it has just long enough to sop up the soup but not fall apart.