Rhubarb Vanilla Clafoutis
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks trimmed and cut into 2” lengths (about 3 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a large bowl, toss the rhubarb with the orange juice, zest and two tablespoons of the sugar. Scatter the mix on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender and caramelized. Let cool. Turn the oven down to 350º.
- In a small pot, warm the milk and vanilla bean (or extract) over low heat. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, keeping an eye on it so the milk doesn’t boil over.
- Remove the bean, slice in half lengthwise and scrape half the seeds back into the milk. Stir and let cool, add the beaten eggs. Rinse the remaining vanilla bean half and reserve in the refrigerator for another use.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Stir in the rest of the sugar. Make a well in the center and slowly pour in the milk and eggs mixture. Gently blend with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Arrange the rhubarb evenly over the bottom of a greased deep pie dish. Pour the wet batter over the top and bake until the middle is mostly firm, about 40 minutes. Dust the clafoutis with powdered sugar and serve.