Strawberry Rhubarb Conserve
- 2 cups fresh strawberries trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup apple or white grape juice plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 pound rhubarb trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon cherry brandy optional
- Combine strawberries, sugar and one tablespoon apple juice in a metal bowl. Stir gently. Cover and let sit at room temperature for an hour until the mix is slightly soupy.
- In a large pot, mix the rhubarb, lemon juice and remaining fruit juice. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the rhubarb is cooked through and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the strawberry mixture and cook until the berries are just tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the strawberries and rhubarb to pint jars. Continue simmering the liquid until it thickens into a syrupy consistency, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the cherry brandy if using. Pour the syrup over the fruit in the jars. Seal, and let cool to room temperature.