Fennel and Potato Gratin
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 lb yellow fingerling potatoes scrubbed
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated Gruyere Cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the inside of a casserole dish with butter. Remove the stalks and frond from the fennel and reserve for another use. Cut the bulbs in half lengthwise. Remove the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise. Warm the butter and olive oil over medium heat and saute the fennel, onions and garlic for two minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice the potatoes and mix in a large bowl with the milk, 1 1/2 cups of Gruyère, salt, and pepper. Add the sauteed fennel and onion and mix well.
- Pour the potatoes into the casserole dish and press to make even. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Gruyère on the top. Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly before serving.