- 2 cups local unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup local maple sugar
- ¾ cup 1½ sticks local unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg ¼ cup maple syrup use Grade B for best flavor
- Additional granulated sugar or maple sugar
- Whisk together the first six ingredients in a medium bowl. In a stand mixer, cream together the butter with the sugars. Add the egg and maple syrup, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Still at low speed, add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Pour a thick layer of granulated sugar or maple sugar onto a plate. Using your hands, roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar to coat, and place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10–12 minutes, until tops start to crack but centers are still soft. Leave on the baking sheet for five minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.