In this feature, we gathered 16 young business owners in the food, farm or beverage industry that are establishing a brand in the FLX. We sent each one the same list of 10 questions. Below are their answers. We hope you enjoy learning about and supporting these local entrepreneurs!
1. What’s the first FLX wine or beer you tasted? Ithaca Beer Flower Power
2. What’s your biggest challenge in being a young business owner in the FLX? That it’s remote from major metropolitan areas, which presents a challenge both in access to resources and travel.
3. What’s your favorite local comfort food after a long, day of hard work? Sinking my teeth into one of Northstar’s juicy burgers.
4. Favorite piece of business advice? Create a strong, clear and authentic mission statement. As you pivot and grow, your mission will help guide every decision you make.
5. Why do you run your business here? We chose to start our business here because we had such an incredible community. We felt like that was going to be the biggest value we could offer to our guests. We were planning to start it somewhere else, but because we formed such a tight knit network of people ranging from tourism to agriculture to business support, we decided to give it a go here.
6. Who’s your hero? My mom.
7. What did you want to be when you were a kid? Both a zoologist and an inventor. Jane Goodall and Benjamin Franklin were my idols. I wanted to create things that could help save and protect nature.
8. At what age do you think you will retire? I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to actually retire, because I’m constantly excited about something new, and it’s hard for me to keep my creativity at bay.
9. Describe yourself in 3 words. Optimistic, creative, genuine
10. In the past people were buried with the items they would need in the afterlife, what would you want buried with you so you could use it in the afterlife? Matches and kindling
11. If you had to choose a completely new career, what would it be? Comedian.
12. What would the book or movie about your life be titled? Sardine sandwich; How my eclectic school lunch launched a lifelong passion for food, family and adventure.
14. Local businessperson who inspires you? Heather Lane – Purity owner.
This article originally appeared in the May/June 2019 edition of the magazine.