In this feature, we gathered 16 young business owners in the food, farm or beverage industry that are establishing a brand in the FLX. We sent each one the same list of 10 questions. Below are their answers. We hope you enjoy learning about and supporting these local entrepreneurs!
Nathan Kendall of N. Kendall Wines
1. What’s the first FLX wine or beer you tasted? Wiemers late harvest Riesling from the 80s.
2. What’s your favorite local comfort food after a long day of hard work? Genny Cream Ale
3. Favorite piece of business advice? Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.
4. Why do you run your business here? I haven’t found a more beautiful place.
5. What did you want to be when you were a kid? A Chef.
6. At what age do you think you will retire? Never.
7. Describe yourself in 3 words. Fueled by passion.
8. In the past people were buried with the items they would need in the afterlife, what would you want buried with you so you could use it in the afterlife? Probably a wine key. Popping bottles is tricky without them.
9. If you had to choose a completely new career, what would it be?
Chef. Or naming new paint colors.
10. What would the book or movie about your life be titled? Shenanigans and Wine
11. Favorite place to eat in the FLX? Graft
12. Local businessperson who inspires you? I’m inspired by most people in the local industry who push the envelope for quality wine.
A version of this article originally appeared in the May/June 2019 edition of the magazine.