Ashlee and Peter Weis of Weis Vineyards
In this feature, we gathered 16 young business owners in the food, farm or beverage industry that are establishing a brand in the FLX. We sent each one the same list of 10 questions. Below are their answers. We hope you enjoy learning about and supporting these local entrepreneurs!
1.First FLX wine or beer you drank? Peter: Dr. Franks Dry Riesling
2. What’s your biggest challenge in being a young business owner in the FLX?
Peter: Building infrastructure for the tasting room and winery production while actually making the wine, selling and trying to find time for us! Ashlee: Balancing business and life.
3. What’s your favorite local comfort food after a long, day of hard work?
P & A: Seneca Farms Ice Cream
4. Favorite piece of business advice?
P: Persistence takes down resistance.
5. Why do you run your business here?
P: I found my love here with my wife and continue my family tradition at my home away from home
6. Who’s your hero?
P: My Grandfather, I spent a lot of time with him growing up, learning about nature, honey bee keeping, distilling and winemaking.
7. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
P: A winemaker
8. At what age do you think you will retire?
P: Ha! We can’t think about retiring, we are just getting started on creating something great here. I will probably be just like my Opa, always being around even if I am just sitting on a bench with my cane and telling people about us 🙂
9. Describe yourself in 3 words.
P: German, Entrepreneur, Husband
10. In the past people were buried with the items they would need in the afterlife, what would you want buried with you so you could use it in the afterlife?
P: My Swiss army knife and some Riesling vines so we can plant a vineyard up there 🙂
11. If you had to choose a completely new career, what would it be?
P: Charter fishing boat captain someplace warm and sunny
12. What would the book or movie about your life be titled?
P: I am too young to have a title to my life yet, check back in 30 more years and ask me again
14. Local businessperson who inspires you?
P: Joe Carrol former owner of Lime Berry Wine Estate
A version of this article originally appeared in the May/June 2019 edition of the magazine.
All images by Chelsea Fausel.