Using a whole roasted chicken gives this salad a big boost of flavor. If you’re watching your calories you can leave the chicken skin out but it adds crispiness and flavor. This is also a great way to use up any leftover grocery store rotisserie chicken.
- 1 whole roasted chicken, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup thick, Greek style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne or apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated and torn
Using your hands, pull the meat from the bones of the chicken and shred into small pieces. Be sure to include the dark meat from the legs and wings. Take any pieces of crispy skin and chop them into small pieces. Put the carcass in the freezer and save for making your own soup stock.
Whisk the yogurt, mustard, olive oil and vinegar in a bowl. Stir in the celery and carrots. Add the chicken meat and skin and stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the almonds and chives and serve over a plate covered with the Boston lettuce pieces.