Candied Garlic Vinaigrette
Ingredients for Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons shallots minced
- 2 tablespoon mustard dijon
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup garlic syrup cooled
- 1 cup oil of choice (canola, coconut, sunflower, etc.)
- 1/4 cup herb of choice (parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, etc.)
- 1 and 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- to taste salt
- pepper pepper
Method For Garlic Syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine garlic, water and cane sugar and bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Check with a fork when outer flesh of garlic starts to turn brown. Continue to simmer until fork tender.
- When garlic is fork tender, turn off the heat and allow to cool in syrup.
- Once syrup is cooled to room temperature, strain garlic out ( but do not discard), and place both in suitable containers for storage ( must be refrigerated).
Method for Vinaigrette
- In a mixing bowl, combine shallots, mustard, molasses and red wine vinegar and whisk until incorporated.
- Add garlic syrup gradually while whisking.
- Add oil gradually to fully incorporate.
- Add white wine vinegar gradually to incorporate, and finish with herbs of choice, salt and pepper to taste.
- * If so desired, the candied garlic can either be used as a garnish in your favorite local salad, or mixed with the initial ingredients in step one as a substitution for the mustard ( it must be smashed in the bowl with the back of a spoon).