Recipe and Photo by Karl Neubauer, Head Distiller at Hollerhorn
Here is a great vibrant spring tonic to lift your spirits up as we approach the light of longer days. I am fixated on fresh lemon juice in cocktails lately, because I have been longing for sunshine. It makes a good substitute when the big old sun is still not feeding us vitamin D! This cocktail features a fun apple brandy I made with a friend of mine, Steve Selin who owns South Hill Cider near Ithaca. It is a delightful sipper, but it also works well in cocktails, but you may use your favorite Calvados as well.
Into The Light
- 2 ounces SouthHoller Apple Brandy
- 3/4 ounces Grand Marnier
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce DOM Benedictine
- 1/4 ounce Absinthe
- 1 lemon peel for garnish
- Begin with filling a coupe glass with ice to chill.
- In a shaker, pour 2 ounces of Apple Brandy, ¾ ounces of Grand Marnier, add ½ ounce of lemon juice and ½ ounce of DOM Benedictine
- Fill the shaker about half way with ice, and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Dump the ice from the coupe glass out, and add ¼ ounce(small splash) of Absinthe to the glass.
- Swirl it around to coat the entire glass, and then pour out (or leave in for lovers of Absinthe).
- Strain the contents of the shaker into the chilled and Absinthe coated coupe glass, and add a garnish of lemon peel. Enjoy!