by Sara Sullivan
Your bread of choice can be substituted for Italian bread. I recommend picking up an uncut loaf from your local bakery a few days prior to making this. Slightly stale bread will absorb more of the egg mixture than fresh bread.
French Toast with Blueberry Preserves and Sliced Almonds
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- powdered sugar
- local blueberry preserves
- sliced almonds
- New York State maple syrup
- whipped cream
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture and lay it on the pan. You should be able to ﬁt multiple slices on the pan to expedite the cooking process.
- Cook for about 1 minute, or until golden brown, then ﬂip and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove from pan and place on a serving platter.
- Repeat this process with remaining slices of bread.
- Dust French toast with powdered sugar, spoon on blueberry preserves and sprinkle sliced almonds on top.
- Serve with maple syrup and whipped cream on the side.
Sara Sullivan is a food photographer and recipe developer who was raised in Ithaca. For more recipes, follow her on Instagram @saralynn.bakes.
This recipe was first featured in the Spring 2021 issue of the magazine.