- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups cold water
Mushroom Mix for Marsala
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1/4 pound shiitakes chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or sherry
- 1/3 cup milk
- fresh thyme
- lemon juice
Making the Roux
- Melt butter in a saucepan and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Allow it to bubble for at least one minute while mixing.
- For a blonde roux, allow it to cook a minute or so. For a dark roux, cook the flour/fat mixture longer while whisking, until it reaches a golden dark caramel color.
- Add cold water a little at a time while whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Add remaining liquid and simmer a couple of minutes. Set aside.
- Saute butter until translucent.
- Add diced onion & garlic cloves.
- Add chopped shiitakes, white wine or sherry, and cook well.
- Add some of the roux and stir in well.
- Add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add fresh thyme and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Read our full feature on Hawk Meadow Farm!