Feel free to use whatever kind of tomato you prefer for this recipe. I used some vine-ripened Early Girl tomatoes, but I would also recommend trying multi-colored heirloom tomatoes for a pretty rainbow bruschetta.
- 3 large tomatoes about 3 cups, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5–6 large fresh basil leaves sliced into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1 large French baguette cut into ¾-inch slices
- Garnish: finely shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, minced garlic, sliced basil, salt, pepper and olive oil. Set aside. Brush both sides of baguette slices with olive oil and grill or toast them in a pan until golden brown. No more than a minute on each side.
- Top toasted bread slices with a spoonful of the tomato mix and sprinkle grated parmesan on top. Serve and enjoy.