Peach Almond Crumble Slab Pie
- 1 slab pie dough recipe
For the filling:
- 3 sticks (24 tablespoons or 339 grams) unsalted butter
- 5 cups (634 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups (210 grams) dark brown sugar
- 1⅓ cups (201 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1⅓ cups (114 grams) roasted almonds, finely chopped
- 8 pounds (about 3629 grams) fresh peaches, pitted and cut into ½” slices OR 6 pounds (2722 grams) frozen sliced peaches
- Adjust oven racks so that one rack is at the very bottom of the oven and one rack is in the middle of the oven. Place a layer of foil over the entirety of the bottom rack. (This is to catch any drips!) Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- On a lightly floured surface or between two large pieces of parchment paper, roll dough to a 22-by-18-inch rectangle. Fit into an 18-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet, pressing into corners (pastry should hang over sides) and trim dough so that it hangs over the sides of the tray by about 1”. Use excess dough trimmings to fill in any gaps in the crust.
- Roll up overhanging edges of the bottom crust around the sides of the sheet tray and crimp tightly by forming a v shape with your thumb and finger on one side of the crust and pushing your other index finger into that v from the other side. Whisk 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water until completely homogenous. Gently brush egg wash over the crimped edges and refrigerate crust while you assemble the filling.
- Make crumble: melt butter. Whisk together flour, sugars, salt, spices and almonds and drizzle butter over. Using a sturdy spatula, stir together mixture until butter is completely incorporated, using your fingers as necessary to form mixture into coarse crumbs. (Do ahead: crumble can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept refrigerated. It will solidify in the fridge, just gently break up with your fingers before spreading over pie.) Assemble pie: spread peach slices over the surface of the crust. Top with crumble mixture, evenly distributing it over the peaches.
- Bake pie: Place assembled slab pie on the middle rack and bake for 40 minutes. After the 40-minute mark, rotate pie and bake for 20-30 minutes more, or until the crust and crumble topping are deeply browned.
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for an hour before slicing and serving. To slice, cut pie in half lengthwise and then cut each half in half again. Rotate pie and cut in half widthwise and cut each of those halves in half again, for a total of 16 slices. Serve warm or at room temperature.
YIELD: 1 half sheet tray, 16 slices