Rustic Beef Stew with Fall Vegetables
This slow cooker recipe is perfect for a busy day. Just prepare the ingredients, set it and forget it. The result will be a flavorful and tender stew that is ready to be eaten by dinner time. I highly recommend serving it over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
- 2 cups red potatoes washed and quartered
- 1 cup about one large turnip, peeled and chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups Butternut squash peeled and chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 large Vidalia onion chopped into medium sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chopped beef stew meat seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper
- 32 fluid ounces 1 quart beef stock
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes for thickening
- Place prepared red potatoes, turnip, Butternut squash and Vidalia onion into your slow cooker.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add chopped beef stew meat and sear for a few minutes on each side. Add this to the slow cooker. Add in beef stock, tomato paste, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until all ingredients are tender. Once finished, stir in instant mashed potato flakes to thicken the stew. Serve by itself, or over mashed potatoes or egg noodles. Enjoy!
Laura Winter Falks Beverage Pairing: Brewed Assam Tea. Assam is a Black Tea grown in northeastern India. This is a very flavorful and full-bodied tea full of tannins and earthiness. This flavorful tea will balance perfectly with this rich stew, and its tannins will extend and enhance the savory flavors. Drink hot or cold, whichever your preference.