This ten-day celebration of New York State cider features an incredible line-up of events, from New York City to Buffalo, and promises all the cider you could ever want to sip.
Photos courtesy of the New York Cider Association
Calling all cider lovers: Cider Week New York returns this Friday, May 5! This statewide celebration of New York cider will feature events at a wide array of unique venues all across New York State, from New York City to Buffalo, including cidery tasting rooms, restaurants, bars, retail stores and more. Starting on Friday, May 5 and running through Sunday, May 14, Cider Week New York will offer cider-lovers everything they could ever dream of—from tastings to orchard tours, festivals to chef and cider pairings.
“As New York Cider continues to grow, we’re so excited to be celebrating Cider Week New York twice a year. Cider has always been a mainstay for the fall but there are so many ways to enjoy cider throughout the year! Celebrating Cider Week New York in the spring will give us the chance to think about bringing the best of New York Cider to your events, menus, and gatherings during the spring and summer, too. Cider is not just for the fall anymore!” says Scott Ramsey, Executive Director, New York Cider Association.
Produced by the New York Cider Association for over 10 years now, Cider Week New York is a can’t-be-missed celebration of a statewide industry so worth celebrating. Cider in New York has grown by over 2400% over the past decade and now has a $1.7 billion total economic impact on the New York State economy. Because apples grow so well here, so, too, do cider producers. As a result, there are currently 120 licensed cider producers in New York State, producing more than 5 million gallons of cider per year, making New York first in the country for the number of cider producers and second for apple growers. (To which we can’t help but say, ‘How do you like them apples?’ to everyone else.)
It is no wonder, then, that cider on tap and cider-centric cocktails are quickly becoming ubiquitous in bars and restaurants all over the state. At Cookshop in Manhattan, for example, their drinks menu features a range of ciders to pair with their seasonal, locally sourced cuisine. Currently available is Baldwin Cider from South Hill Cider in Ithaca.
“An opportunity to celebrate cider right in our backyards, Cider Week New York marks an important time to reflect on the impressive growth across the industry, from our agricultural partners to our drinkers and everyone in between,” said Joe Gaynor, Cider Maker for Angry Orchard. “New York continues to produce some of the best ciders in the world, solidifying our home state’s important role within this innovative industry and making it that much more important to raise a glass together!”
Cideries participating in Cider Week New York span the following regions: the Hudson Valley Region, the Capital Region, the Catskills Region, the Western New York Region, and the Finger Lakes Regions. For a complete list of participating cideries, please visit the Cider Week New York website here: www.ciderweeknewyork.com.
Here are some Cider Week New York events we’re especially looking forward to:
Friday, May 5:
● Cinco de Mayo Cider Release Party at Twin Star Orchards, Hudson Valley
● Cider Cocktail Workshop with Orchard Hill at Boutique Wines, Spirits & Cider in the Hudson Valley
● Black Diamond Orchard Blossom Tour & Tasting at Black Diamond Farm in the Finger Lakes
Saturday, May 6:
● Kentucky Derby & Cider Juleps at Pennings Farm Market in Warwick
● Cider House Tour & Tasting at Finger Lakes Cider House in the Finger Lakes
● Naked Flock Cider Tasting Experience at Applewood Winery in the Hudson Valley
Sunday, May 7:
● Tulip Fest 75: Paint and Sip at Nine Pin Cider in the Capital District
● Cider Porron Party at Hana Makgeolli Brewery & Tasting Room in New York City
● More Than Cake Bake Sale at South Hill Cider in the Finger Lakes
Tuesday, May 9:
● Cider Pairing Dinner at Indian Ladder Farms Cidery & Brewery in the Catskills
● Nowhere Special Raclette & Cider Night at Nowhere Special Libations Parlor in the Finger Lakes
● Albany’s Urban Orchard 5th Anniversary at Washington Park in the Capital District
Wednesday, May 10:
● Virtual Naked Flock Cider Tasting on Instagram Live
Thursday, May 11:
● Cider and Food Pairing with Treasury Cider at Boutique Wines, Spirits & Cider in the Hudson Valley
Friday, May 12:
● 1st Open Mic Night of the Season at Treasury Cider Deck in the Hudson Valley
● Redbyrd Evening Orchard & Blossom Tour at Redbyrd Orchard Cider in the Finger Lakes
Saturday, May 13:
● Cider Throwing Party at Twin Star Orchards in the Hudson Valley
● Clarksburg Cider Co. Cider Fest at Clarksburg Cider Co. in Western New York
● Sip, Stretch & Shop Yoga at Treasury Cider in Fishkill
Sunday, May 14:
● Mother’s Day at the Orchard at Little Apple Cidery in the Hudson Valley
● Rosé Cider & Paella for Mom at Twin Star Orchards in the Hudson Valley
● First Taste of Rye Barrel Aged Hard Cider at Bedrock Cidery at Quartz Rock Vineyard in the Hudson Valley
For a complete listing of Cider Week New York events—or to purchase tickets, sign up to receive more information, or craft your own interactive Cider Week trail map—please visit www.ciderweeknewyork.com